I am from Rome and I moved to London four years ago. I am a qualified teacher with in-depth experience teaching Italian as a Second and Foreign Language both in presence and online. Graduate in Italian Language and Literature in Rome at La Sapienza University, I was also awarded the DITALS Certification in Teaching Italian as a Second and Foreign Language by the University of Siena.
I have taught Italian as a Second Language for more than ten years in various contexts: intensive standard Italian courses, individual tuition, CELI and CILS Exam Preparation Courses, Business courses and online courses via Skype and have extensive knowledge of teaching adults of different ages, backgrounds and levels of competence.
During my job I had many Italian language students from around the world this gave me the opportunity to experience different cultures and perspectives which enabled me to develop excellent communication skills and a strong understanding of the needs of students.
My Teaching Approach
I use a combination of approaches to ensure that all students’ needs are met. I often follow the communicative approach and the task-based method, the most widely used in foreign language teaching today. I carefully consider the different learning style of my students and always alternate various activities in order for them to reach results.
The communicative approach emphasizes the learner’s ability to communicate various functions, such as asking and answering questions, making requests, describing, narrating and comparing, discussing, explaining, debating etc… My approach is learner-centered to motivate students by giving them some control over learning processes. The grammar is not taught in isolation but in context and inductively: rules are generalised from the practice and experience with the target language. The learning process is designed to involves all different aspects of the language: morphosyntactic, syntactic, pragmatic, cultural, lexical and the language presented is always authentic.
I adopt a wide range of materials, and I like to create my own materials which allow me to meet specific objectives of the students. I always create a relaxed atmosphere to allow my students to reach their objectives in an easier way.
Cils and Celi Exam Preparation
I successfully prepared many students for these exams.
CILS, Certificazione di Italiano come Lingua Straniera (Certification of Italian as a Foreign Language) and CELI, Certificato di Conoscenza della Lingua Italiana (Certificate of Knowledge of the Italian Language) are internationally recognized qualifications of the Italian language from the University for foreigners of Siena and Perugia. These certifications are divided into 6 different and progressive levels from A1 to C2, according to the CEFR. All the examination cover the most important elements in language acquisition: speaking, reading, writing, listening and analysis of structures of communication. For any information follow the link:
Testimonials from my students
- “She prepared me to face everyday speaking situations as well as to write and read in Italian with proficiency. Her customized lessons are always stimulating, effective and enjoyable. I am grateful to have benefited from her expertise and charitable character.” Shawn, from the US
- “I enjoyed lessons with Silvia. In addition to exercises, the questions she asked and the assistance she gives me conjugating verbs as I speak, helps me learn to speak more naturally. Thank you!!” Cathy, from the US
- “I’ve had seven tutoring sessions with Silvia so far and it’s been great! She has a stellar track record in teaching Italian, and is very professional, knowledgeable, and patient. I would highly recommend her for anyone interested in learning Italian”. Di, from New Jersey
- “Silvia spoke very clearly, at a nice pace and vocabulary level for me at approximately A2 level. We discussed the differences between a few Italian words with similar meanings and I found her very helpful.” Barry, from Sidney
- “Grazie mille, Silvia! Mi hai aiutato tantissimo con la mia preparazione! 🙂 “ Eseniya, from Vladimir Russian Federation
- “Good fun but challenging as always”. Jo, from the UK
- “Her methods are thorough and very easy to follow! She is very patient.” Michelle, from New Mexico
- “Silvia has been one of the best Italian teacher I’ve had. She taught me not only the grammatical importance of the language but the heart and soul of its “lingua”. É stato vero piacere essere lo suo studente.” Leonardo, from Honduras
- “Even if I do not speak italien, everything was in the target language! full immersion 🙂 Grazie Silvia!”. Clare, from Bruxelles
- “Silvia’s explanations of grammar and vocabulary are easy to understand and show her experience with teaching”. Dana, from Boston
- “Ce l’ho fatta! Grazie a te.” Brian, from San Diego, Ca